Sunday, September 11, 2011

Off to TIFF tomorrow

Two plum tartes and two peach pies are baked and cooling. One of the peach pies is for a friend who cannot eat lard so I used Crisco all vegetable shortening. But you know, it just doesn't make as good a crust as the Maple Leaf lard. I'm sorry, that is simply the truth. And Crisco has changed its formula or something. The crusts are too soft. They tear easily. So the pie fillings leak around the edges - gimme lard any day. But, here's the thing... I am off to TIFF tomorrow morning for a couple of days. So I think the neighbours are going to have to share in the pies while I am gone. It is just as well because I do want to lose some weight. But still, the peach pies are made with Loring peaches, my favourite.

Well, I will make it up by watching new movies for the next two days. My friends and I have tickets for 1:30 and 8:30 tomorrow. I am going in early to pick the tickets up at the box office and try to find a third film between these two. The first is The Silver Cliff, in Portuguese, from Rio. The evening film is Lena, in Dutch and Polish, from Amsterdam. We love the foreign language films but need a break from reading subtitles and hope to find an English language film starting at around 5.

Between times we will visit the Bell Light Box. My TIFF membership grants me entree to the Bell Blue Lounge (I think that is what it is called) so I hope my friends will be able to join me there for a drink. We will be having lunch with my mom first and seeing a couple of my sisters who may join us for the evening film. It is going to be fun as always! And it is going to be on school days this year - more fun for me.

No comments: