Friday, September 09, 2011

First Week Not So Fabulous

OK, let's be honest here. The lazing about was more than that. It was fatigue, which was understandable, I'll grant you - my first real week off with nothing to do but what I will. But I did take a chill in the pouring rain at the contra-ribfest on Sunday. And that rain did go on! Suddenly fall weather: chilly, windy, rainy and grey all day everyday since Sunday. What kind of weather is that for my first week of retirement? Crying out loud. The first few days were so humid that my knees killed with arthritis. And sleeping with the windows open simply blew in the allergens from the squash leaves growing moldy in the garden under our bedroom window. So by midweek the lazing about in wooly socks and sweat shirt with lots of tea was really me fighting off a sinus infection and bit of a cold from allergies and bone deep chill. How great to see the sun come out last evening and the clouds finally part. Today I feel great and energized. I have put the cards away so I am not tempted to play my thousandth game of solitaire. I went to the market today and bought peaches, plums and corn warm in the sun. The slight agitation and anxiety that accompanied the lazing about may have to do with the few last strands of school stuff still waiting for my attention. I will get to them this weekend between making pies and tomato marmalade and going to the South Side Shuffle in Port Credit and packing for TIFF. I have tickets for Monday and a place to stay in town. Life is about to begin.

No comments: