Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Midweek at home

Today dawned cooler after the rain, but still humid. Our air conditioner is not working the way it should so the house is stifling if we don't close it up before the day gets too warm. Husband came down with a terrible summer cold on the weekend and slept in this morning. I slept long too, getting up at 9:50 to sit in the sunporch with my coffee and read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I have to say, it is a very compelling little book that I highly recommend. Once I finally got moving, i went shopping for butter and potatoes as well as the makings for Grandma Brady's Brown Beans recipe. It is a family secret so I can't share it here. But it calls for Thomson white pea beans and there are none to be had at any of the grocery or bulk food stores. I had to settle for Great Northern beans and hope that they do not doom the pot of beans to disaster. The original recipe calls for salt pork so I already have to tweak it for vegetarian tastes by using diced sweet onions and extra salt instead. I haven't made it for years and want to take it to the cottage we will share with daughter and grandchildren next week. If the summer cold has disappeared by Friday.

No comments: