Thursday, June 21, 2012

Headed for France via Jacksonville

The trip down to Jacksonville, FL, went really well. I picked up a fruit and cheese box at Toronto-Pearson, asked to pre-board, the agent told me to sit in 6A instead of 5A  because there was no one in 6B, so I had the section to myself all the way to Detroit and could munch away as the clock tilted toward noon. It was a small connector plane with one stewardess and no food service. Glad I bought my lunch first. 

However, at the Detroit airport I asked the gate agents for directions to my connecting gate as I had less than an hour to get there. They were very helpful with the long walking directions but neglected to mention that there was an express tram running around the mezzanine that would have saved me a 20 minute sprint in killer heat. I even said, "Wow, that is a long way. I better put my knee braces on." Which I did, right in front of them. I realized I could have taken the tram when I was too close to the second gate to bother. 

But JAX is a bright cheerful airport, full of helpful people, and even a piano man in the main foyer that I tipped on my way by. What a welcome! Also I got to the hotel by free shuttle and in short order. It is on a service road with not much of anything around. It is hot outside but there is a stiff dry breeze blowing so it is far more comfortable here than at home right now. And, wonders of wonders, both the AC & good wifi are working in my room. The AC is working a little too well actually, so as I wrote this I was sitting outside. And the wifi worked out there too. Seems like a good omen. 

The shuttle will get me to the airport in minutes so I could have slept until 8 this morning. But I am up earlier, taking my time to repack for the overnight flight today to Frankfort and on to France. I will wear my comfy jeans and take a jacket. Well, there is a little coffee bar here so I am going to get ready and have a bit of breakfast before I go to the airport to meet the other 25 women in the group. Wahoo!

I will touch base every day or so, depending on the wifi situation. And I will finish the Australia blogs - so that may be a bit confusing. I was in Australia late May to early June. I will be in France late June to early July. Also, sadly, since Blogspot will now only load photos via Picassa and Picassa refuses to browse photos on my iPad photo library, I cannot post photos with these bogs unless I am on a real computer.

No comments: