Friday, April 02, 2010

With all my options open

Now why is it that some folks can blog like mad, and I trail off very quickly after every attempt to take this up on a weekly if not daily basis. Maybe they have more time in their daily lives. Or maybe...oh, well. Nevermind. The thing is, at the moment I do have more time than I have had for the past several years. Things on the big list are getting ticked off. And not only that, but the 5-year plan is rolling to a close and it is getting time to start a new one. The lovely bit is that all my options are open. On November 2, 2009, I successfully defended my M Ed thesis. I was reminded of that the other day when the bound copies arrived via Purolator. Brock U kept 3 for the libraries there, and I ordered an extra 3 for the kids, I guess. Anyway, I have 4 including the one with the original documents in it. But my point is that my birthday fell on Friday, October 30 last year, so that on November 2, the day I defended my thesis, I also became fully vested in my OT Pension Plan - I hit my 85 factor. There was a bit of discussion about future research (there are some folks who really like my M Ed thesis, and there is one who likes the research I had intended to do on the history of specialty arts education in Ontario before I got sidetracked into organizational studies and accountability in a non-profit educational organization). So, you know, one option that also opened up that day was the possibility of doing a dissertation and completing my doctorate. Don't think that is going to happen. As it turns out, I have become far more interested in administrative work than in taking more courses or doing more teaching, all of which would be part and parcel of completing a doctorate. Oh, and I am also not interested in doing any more part-time graduate work. So the only way that option could remain viable would be for an institution to fund me, nay, to pay me to work full-time at completing said doctorate. Still a possibility, but more and more a remote one. However, the interest in administration is where I turned my attention next. I had my application package for the Vice Principals' pool in on January 15, 2010. My interview was March 2, and I heard on March 4 that I had made it into the pool. At a meeting this past Monday, I learned that I remain in that pool for up to 2 years, and that while it is not attached to a score, or time, or seniority - I may not get a posting to a school as a Vice-Principal for up to 2 years. Or ever! Hmmmm. Well, in the meantime, I am going to complete the transformation of WexLibrary that I started in 2006. There are a number of fairly large loose ends to tie up. However, come the end of June, if I have not been appointed as a VP, I really will have to consider my other options. I didn't mention anything other than doctoral work? Oh, no. There are lots of other possibilities. I could do the research and writing for the history chapter of the book that will come out of that one professor's work. I could make the leap from education to direct a small non-profit. I could vie for a district or ministry level job. Or I could retire from education, and open the Cat's Cupboard, a consignment only gallery of fine crafts with a back room designed for showing art, rehearsing and presenting dance and drama, poetry readings on Sunday afternoons, Jazz on Thursday nights. Whatever. All of my options are open.

No comments: