Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Kakadu Camping Day 4 Much Later!

Aaaannnddd here we are almost two months later back home in Canada since October 4. A crazy October followed by a mournful November. More about all that in later blogs, or perhaps I will just move on. However, I do want to finish writing up our amazing trip to Australia July 26 to October 4. So let's start with a very simple summary of Day 4, the final day of our camping in Kakadu. I have quoted here the review I wrote for Trip Advisor. 
A wonderful and moving experience, not to be missed! As soon as Locky picked us up at Jabirru we were in for a treat. He obviously loves the land. We saw jabirrus, brolgas, a sea eagle and other birds. At the Cultural Centre, he introduced the artists - it was a honour to meet them and to watch Glen work. The print room is brilliant. Norma explained how the women were splitting and dying pandanus leaves. (Our aboriginal guide) Michael, who took us up Injalak to see the extraordinary galleries of cave art painted over the centuries, was patient and kind with me as I tested my new knees on some of the more daunting paths. Locky met us for lunch high on Injalak. When we descended, he gave us plenty of time in the gallery where I bought beautiful fabric items and admired the paintings and weavings. Locky delivered us safely back to our Darwin Hotel in the Lords Tour van. I am so glad we chose the 4-day Kakadu camp trip with this tour as our 4th day. What a great day!
My package of leaflets and guides for the rest of our trip is here in front of me, ready to prompt memories that I will want to share with you. But right now, I have to make dinner, pick up a friend, and head for Toronto and 120 Diner. My producer, Chris Bikett, and his wonderful band, play for his Tuesday night residency 10-11:30 p.m. I can't miss that. Talk to you again soon. I promise.

No comments: