Monday, May 21, 2012

Self-direction and grace

I would be enjoying retirement far more if I could stop inflicting so much damage. I tore the cartilage in my right knee in November doing a Pilates class when the trainer insisted on adding a yoga cat stretch. I told her that I did not do anything on my knees anymore. But then I was foolish enough to allow her to talk me into it. That knee injury led to a wrecked shoulder in December as I required assistance in disembarking from a boat in St. Lucia in order to participate in a delicous local luncheon awaiting us on a beach. The crew members' enthusiasm in lifting me down did not allow me time to let go my left hand hold, thus tearing the shoulder. That injury shouldn't count as the trip was worth the subsequent agony but it definitely interfered with writing and other work on the computer for some time. I spent much of the first quarter of 2012 in physiotherapy, in addition to getting cortisone shots in my knees and huge new patella stabelizer braces. Things have improved immensely both for getting around and for writing again.

Otherwise, I am slowly moving toward a life of self-direction and grace through a process of re-discovering myself. I spend much of my time alone puttering about, following a leisurely sorting schedule that I have set for myself. This generates piles of paper for recycling and shredding and the occasional exciting bit of archival material. More about this process to come. I did go to the Arts Schools Network conference in Orlando at the end of January just to keep in touch and for the fun of it. However, almost every time I plan a visit to either of my old schools, CALC or Wexford Collegiate School for the Arts, something intervenes. I have seen very little of those I used to work with and time is rapidly running out for this school year.

I am editing the long neglected draft of this post as a start back to blogging from our brother and sister-in-law's home in Canberra, Australia. This three-week vacation is our third in this beautiful country and my reason for returning to my blog. I will be going overseas again late in June for a trip to France with a bunch of women out of Jacksonville, Florida. Another friend my age is currently, and successfully, undergoing treatment for non-Hodgkins lymphoma. That has reminded me that there is no time to waste. If I want to do something, it is better that I do it now while I am still able. Remaining happy, well, and active is what I wish for everyone.

No comments: